Rain Garden Workshop, Oct. 22
|Workshop: October 22, 2014, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.|
|Certification Exam (optional): October 23, 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.|
|Chatham County Extension Center, Pittsboro|
As development in our region increases, so do the impacts of stormwater. Rain gardens are an effective practice for reducing and treating stormwater naturally that can be incorporated into any yard or landscape.
Chatham County Cooperative Extension and Chatham County Soil and Water Conservation invite landscape professionals, grounds managers, and gardeners to attend an Oct. 22 workshop to learn how to create beautiful rain gardens as an option for dealing with stormwater in residential properties and communities.
The workshop will cover all aspects of rain garden design, plant selection, and care, and will provide participants hands-on experience in rain garden installation. In addition to rain gardens, rainwater harvesting systems will be discussed and demonstrated by stormwater experts Mitch Woodward andAndrew Anderson from North Carolina State University’s Cooperative Extension Service.
The cost of attending only the Oct. 22 workshop is $25. The registration fee includes lunch and must be paid in advance.
Landscape professionals can choose to take an exam offered on the morning of Oct. 23 to become certified* in residential rain garden design and installation. The cost of attending the Oct. 22 workshop plus taking the Oct. 23 certification exam is $125 if paid before October 15. Participants who pass the exam will be added to a list of certified residential rain garden professionals maintained by NCSU and available online athttp://www.bae.ncsu.edu/stormwater/training/raingarden_professionals_2011.html.
For a complete agenda and workshop details, visithttp://www.bae.ncsu.edu/stormwater/training/rg_200_plus.html.
To register and pay online, visithttp://go.ncsu.edu/registerraingardenworkshop.
To register and pay by mail, make checks payable to NCSU-BAE. Mail your check and copy of your registration form to:
Campus Box 7625
Raleigh, NC 27695
Attn: Christina Shepard
For questions about registration, please contact email@example.com or call (919) 513-2192.
To learn more about rain gardens, visit N.C. Cooperative Extension’s Backyard Rain Garden website, https://www.bae.ncsu.edu/topic/raingarden/.
- This certification is awarded by NC State University Cooperative Extension and is housed in the Biological and Agricultural Engineering Department.
- To receive the certification, attendees must attend the workshop and then receive a score of at least 80% on an examination.
- Note: The design method presented in this workshop is not accepted by NCDENR as a means of sizing rain gardens for regulatory purposes. However, this method is suitable for retrofit or non-regulatory rain garden design and installations.
- Chatham County Cooperative Extension
- Chatham County Soil and Water Conservation
- NC State University – Biological and Agricultural Engineering