Chatham County Nursery Featured on Almanac Gardener
The new season of Almanac Gardener on UNC TV begins Saturday, April 4 at noon and will repeat Sunday, April 5 at 10:30 a.m. Hosted by gardening guru Mike Gray, each episode of Almanac Gardener includes features from around the state along with expert advice from agents with NC State Extension.
The first episode of Almanac Gardener’s 2015 season will feature a story on Chatham County nurseryman, Philip Dark and his efforts to develop improved, cold hardy varieties of gardenia. These small to medium sized, deer resistant, evergreen shrubs are popular throughout the south for their exceptionally fragrant summer flowers.
Among Philip’s introductions is the Crown Jewel Gardenia, a compact, hardy variety with fragrant, double white blossoms. Philip owns Oakmont Nursery, located between Pittsboro and Siler City at 9985 US Hwy 64 W. Crown Jewel Gardenias are available from Oakmont Nursery as well as many other garden centers throughout our region.
- Oakmont Nursery – visit their facebook page
- Crown Jewel Gardenia: http://crownjewelgardenia.com/
- Almanac Gardener on UNC TV: http://www.unctv.org/content/almanac-gardener
- Deer resistant plants: http://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/04/is-there-anything-deer-will-not-eat/
Use Extension Search to find research based information from Cooperative Extension systems across the U.S.
Visit your local Cooperative Extension center to learn more about gardening and landscape care. Go to https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/local-county-center/ to find your county Extension center or post your questions to be answered online via Extension’s ‘Ask an Expert’ widget.
Subscribe to the Chatham Gardener email list to receive timely updates on sustainable lawn, garden, and landscape care for the central NC Piedmont. To subscribe:
- Visit: http://go.ncsu.edu/subscribecg
- Scroll down to enter your email address in the “address” box
- Click on the subscribe button