2017 Chatham Landscape Conference
Thursday, March 16
Chatham County Agriculture and Conference Center
1192 US 64 W Business, Pittsboro, NC 27312
Click here for directions and GPS coordinates
The Chatham Landscape Conference provides continuing education and recertification credits for green industry professionals, including landscapers, grounds and turf managers, and greenhouse and nursery producers.
REGISTRATION – CLOSED
Registration for this event closed on March 10. All available spaces are filled. If you have questions about your registration, please contact N.C. Cooperative Extension – Chatham County Center by:
- Calling 919-542-8202 or
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8:00 – 8:15 Sign In – coffee, water and snacks available
- 8:15 – 8:25 Welcome, Paige Moody, Arbor Enterprises
- 8:25 – 9:25 Managing Landscape Pests through Better Plant Selection, Charlotte Glen, NC State Extension – Chatham County Center. This session will discuss pest-prone plants commonly planted in Piedmont landscapes and alternative varieties that can be used in their place. Participants will learn how to identify pest insects and diseases of problem prone species and how to avoid these problems through better plant selection for the site and region.
- 9:25 – 9:40 Break
- 9:40 – 10:40 Bio-rational Materials for Turfgrass Pest Control, Dr. Charles Peacock, NCSU Crop Science. This presentation will focus on bio-rational pesticide products for pest management in warm and cool season turf. Participants will learn about new biological pesticide products, updated application strategies for disease, insect and weed pests, how to improve turf quality using bio-rational pesticide products, and common turf cultural practice strategies to control turfgrass pests.
- 10:40-11:40 Managing Scale Insect Infestations on Landscape Trees, Dr. Steve Frank, NCSU Entomology. Dr. Frank will discuss multiple strategies for managing scale infestations on landscape trees. Participants will learn how plant placement and site selection can affect the likelihood of scale infestation, as well as how to manage infestations with and without neonicotinoid insecticides.
- 11:40-11:50 Evaluation, CEU credits
Afternoon Session: 1:15 – 4:00 p.m.
Certified Landscape Contractor credits approved: 2 Landscape Technical
- 1:15 – 1:30 Sign In
- 1:30 – 1:40 Welcome, Charlotte Glen, NC State Extension – Chatham County Center
- 1:40 – 3:40 Pruning the Right Way to Minimize Potential Risk, Dr. Barbara Fair, NCSU Horticultural Science. During this hands-on session you will learn the right way to prune young trees to minimize future risk. Topics to be covered include:
- How to determine what to remove when a tree is young to minimize limb or tree failure in the future
- What is branch subordination all about and how do you choose which ones to prune
- How to prevent most branch failure and shorter-lived trees by employing pro-active pruning techniques
- Bring your handsaw and pruners!
- 3:40 – 4:00 Questions, Evaluation, CEU credits
Contact N.C. Cooperative Extension’s Chatham County Center by calling 919-542-8202 or email: email@example.com
Persons with disabilities and persons with limited English proficiency may request accommodations to participate by contacting Sam Groce, County Extension Director, at 919-542-8202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at the Chatham County Extension Center at least 10 days prior to the event.