Growing Vegetables From Seed Resources
The Extension Gardener Handbook is your source for practical, research-based information on gardening, lawn care, and landscaping in North Carolina. Chapters 16 is all about growing vegetables. Chapter 13 covers plant propagation, including seeds.
NC State Extension’s Community Gardening Handbook is a great source of knowledge and advice for all gardeners.
Many references for growing vegetables throughout the year are posted on the resource page for Growing Vegetables Year Round, which was taught in the spring, 2017.
Vegetable Planting Calendars
- Optimal Planting Dates for Chatham County
- Central NC Vegetable Planting Calendar
- Planting and Harvest Guide for Piedmont Vegetables and Herbs
- Container Garden Planting Calendar
References for Starting Vegetables from Seed
Many garden centers stock a wide range of flower and vegetable seed during the growing season. Refer to this list of garden centers and nurseries in Chatham County and to download a copy of our Garden Center and Nursery Directory for Chatham and surrounding copies.
If you can’t find what you are looking for locally, try one of the many seed companies that allow you to shop online or will send you a mail-order catalog. Here are a few possibilities:
- Johnny’s Seed – flowers, vegetables, herbs, cover crops and excellent information
- Sow True Seed – based in Asheville, NC. Specializing in heirloom and open pollinated varieties
- Burpee Seed – one of the oldest seed companies in the U.S., offers many varieties of flowers and vegetables
- Park Seed – located in Greenville, SC, offers a full range of vegetable and flower seed
- Seed Savers Exchange – dedicated to preserving heirloom varieties
- Seeds of Change – specializing in organically produced seed
- Pinetree Garden Seed – offers small, inexpensive seed packets of many flower and vegetable varieties
Learn more about growing a fall vegetable garden:
- Plant a Fall Garden – Chatham Gardener article
- Extend Your Garden Into Fall – Chatham Gardener article
- Growing Kale from Seed – Chatham Gardener article
- Growing Vegetables Year-Round – Extension Gardener Class resources
Find out about upcoming classes and checkout resources from past classes in the Extension Gardener series offered by N.C. Cooperative Extension, Chatham County Center.
Use Extension Search to find research based information from Cooperative Extension systems across the U.S.
Subscribe to the Chatham Gardener email list to receive timely updates on sustainable lawn, garden, and landscape care for the central NC Piedmont.