Growing Vegetables From Seed – Resources
The Extension Gardener Handbook is your source for practical, research-based information on gardening, lawn care, and landscaping in North Carolina.
The NC State Extension Community Gardening Handbook is a great source of knowledge and advice for all gardeners.
Vegetable Planting Calendars
- Optimal Planting Dates for Chatham County
- Central NC Vegetable Planting Calendar
- Planting and Harvest Guide for Piedmont Vegetables and Herbs
- Container Garden Planting Calendar
References for Starting Vegetables from Seed
- Starting Seeds Indoors (Clemson Extension)
- Soil Temperature Conditions for Vegetable Seed Germination
- Life Expectancy of Vegetable Seed
- Lights for Seed Starting
Many garden centers stock a wide range of flower and vegetable seed during the growing season. View a list of garden centers and nurseries in Chatham County.
Download a copy of our Garden Center and Nursery Directory for Chatham and surrounding counties.
If you can’t find what you are looking for locally, try one of the many seed companies that allow you to shop online or will send you a mail-order catalog. Here are a few possibilities:
- Johnny’s Seed – flowers, vegetables, herbs, cover crops, and excellent information.
- Sow True Seed – based in Asheville, NC. Specializing in heirloom and open-pollinated varieties.
- Burpee Seed – one of the oldest seed companies in the U.S., offers many varieties of flowers and vegetables.
- Park Seed – located in Greenville, SC, offers a full range of vegetable and flower seed.
- Seed Savers Exchange – dedicated to preserving heirloom varieties.
- Seeds of Change – specializing in organically-produced seed.
- Pinetree Garden Seed – offers small, inexpensive seed packets of many flower and vegetable varieties.
Find out about upcoming classes in the Extension Gardener series offered by N.C. Cooperative Extension, Chatham County Center.
Use Extension Search to find research-based information from Cooperative Extension systems across the U.S.
Visit your local Cooperative Extension center to learn more about gardening and landscape care. Find your county Extension Center or post your questions to be answered online via Extension’s ‘Ask an Expert’ widget.
Subscribe to the Chatham Gardener email list to receive timely updates on sustainable lawn, garden, and landscape care for the central NC Piedmont. To subscribe:
- Visit the subscription page.
- Scroll down to enter your email address in the “address” box.
- Click on the subscribe button.