Carolina Backyard Naturalist (Thursday 9/3/20)
Basics of Conservation
In this presentation, participants will begin to explore the subject of natural resource conservation. Topics to be covered include what natural resource conservation is and why it is important, a brief historical overview of conservation in the United States, and best management practices for conserving resources, particularly soil and water.
Dana Miller, Education Coordinator
Katie Hefner, Intern
Dana Miller is the Education Coordinator for Haywood County Soil and Water Conservation District where she provides environmental education to the people of Haywood County through classroom programs, camps, field days, and other events. Prior to her current position, Dana taught middle and high school science in Asheville, NC and Dallas, NC.
Katie Hefner is an intern with the Haywood County Soil and Water Conservation District. She is a senior at Western Carolina University and majoring in Environmental Science, with minors in Chemistry and Biology.
- USDA Natural Resources and Conservation Service (NRCS)
- N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Division of Soil and Water Conservation
- US Environmental Protection Agency
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality
- North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
- US Fish and Wildlife Services
- IUCN Redlist
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
- A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
- RecycleCT Wizard (App)