Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Service Opportunities
There are many exciting opportunities for Extension Master Gardener Volunteers (SM) to fulfill their volunteer commitment in Chatham County. These include:
- Demonstration Gardens – Help us plan, develop and maintain educational demonstration gardens at the Chatham County Agriculture and Conference Center. The garden will display sustainable gardening and ecological design principles and serve as a training lab for volunteers and the public
- Public Outreach – Provide information on sustainable gardening to local residents and groups through talks and demonstrations, articles, social media and other methods. This may also include assisting the agent with Extension Gardener classes.
- Plant Clinic – Help staff a gardening hotline that provides advice and educational assistance to local residents. Promote the Extension Master Gardener Program and answer gardening questions at local events, farmers markets, and festivals
- Educational Resources – Develop educational resources for Chatham County residents.
- Youth Outreach – Develop and lead gardening and environmental education activities for youth participating in 4-H summer camp and other 4-H events
- School Outreach – Work with our school outreach team to deliver lessons on butterflies and pollinators to 2nd grade classes that participate in the 4-H Life Cycles program
- Program Management – Assist with management of the EMG Program. For example, help plan training classes and field trips, assist the technology team with keeping our website up to date, or facilitate communication through newsletters, monthly meetings and/or social media.
- Fundraising – Help plan, promote and deliver fundraisers, assist with grant applications, and seek resources to support our educational outreach efforts.
As our program expands, additional opportunities will develop to support and expand our educational outreach programs.